Try for a baby at 48

• Last Post 07 February 2019
Lana posted this 07 February 2019

I recently remarried and my now husband is younger and wants to try for a baby. I"m just worried about trying to conceive because I'm almost 48. I still have regular periods so I'm wondering if that will help? Wondering how old everyone was when they conceived their last baby and if 48 is too old to conceive. 

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Beth posted this 07 February 2019

I think your best bet is to consult your doctor. I've heard of women having children later in life and everything was fine, but I've also heard it's much harder to have children at a later age.

Lana posted this 14 February 2019

Thanks Beth, I think that is what I am going to do! 

I think your best bet is to consult your doctor. I've heard of women having children later in life and everything was fine, but I've also heard it's much harder to have children at a later age.

Beverley posted this 15 February 2019

I agree with Beth. I believe over the age of 30 it is considered at risk pregnancy and phycisians take extra care and precautions. So definitely talk to a physician.

Cherice posted this 15 February 2019

I agree I would go see your doctor as soon as possible and have some tests run.  I didn't get pregnant until I was in my 40s but it took some time.  At first the doctors said to just keep trying. Eventually they had to run some tests and found issues. Then it took more time for drug treatments, procedures etc..

Jane posted this 22 May 2019

Consult an find out what they generally think based on your overall health - then go to the place of thinking about how your life will change and what you see for yourself in the next 10, 15, 20 years, etc. 

Jasmine posted this 22 May 2019

If you want a baby, don't let age deter you! Find a great doctor who will be honest with you about the risks. There are plenty of 40+ women who have healthy pregnancies and happy babies 😊

Jess posted this 22 May 2019

I would definitely consult with your doctor before making any final decisions. I'm sure he/she can run some tests and give you a better idea of what you should do.  Good luck!

user9 posted this 23 May 2019

Wow! A baby at 48... how do YOU feel about it? Don't let your husband pressure you into something you don't want to do. I am not trying to be negative, but want you to think about both sides of the coin. A lot of women are having babies late in life; if it is the will of God then it will happen! I know she's a celeb but Janet Jackson was 50, I believe! 

Momzie posted this 23 May 2019

You can give it a shot if that's what you want. Try to get a good high risk OB, and have a good support group around you.

Katerina posted this 23 May 2019

Good question! I think the advanced maternal age is like 36 maybe? But that doesn't mean it isn't possible! Keep us updated on what the doctor says!

Jana posted this 24 May 2019

I'm in the same boat. I am 40, with an adult son. My husband doesn't have any children but wants them. We are in the exploration stage at this time, trying to identify a good doctor to work with.

Mandy posted this 24 May 2019

My mom had my youngest sister when she was 45, so it can be done! I hope all goes well and that you’re holding a new bundle of joy soon!

Close