Potty training

• Last Post 04 March 2020
Abby posted this 04 March 2020

When did you start potty training your baby? How early is too early! What do you think the best age is?

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Andrea posted this 08 March 2020

I started my child at two.  I know a lot of mom's usually try between 2-4 and I think it really depends on the child. Your child will let you know by their own actions and preferences. For instance, if they're able to stay dry for long periods of time and don't like when their diaper is soiled, they're probably ready to start transitioning. Sometimes you may even introduce it and have to stop for a while because it's just too overwhelming for them at the time.

Stacie posted this 08 March 2020

My son started showing readiness cues around 18 months so we went with it. He was trained in a few weeks. Other children aren't ready until they are 2 or later and that's ok. It's best not to force them or otherwise it gets very drawn out and frustrating for everyone

Sam posted this 08 March 2020

Most preschools won't accept children if they aren't potty trained by 3, so I would start working after 2 and a half if you already haven't!

Nicole posted this 08 March 2020

We started around 20 months. Read stories, role played-he was trained in a week! Good luck!

Kelly posted this 08 March 2020

I think it's wise to start once they turn two. It's the perfect age. Always look for signs of readiness as well. If they are telling you they are wet or soiled, they may be ready to eliminate on the potty.

Brianne posted this 09 March 2020

My daughter isn't old enough for potty training, but I've always been told (depending on signs of readiness) to try every few months starting around 2. All two year olds develop differently so age varies and supposedly boys are more difficult than girls, but you won't know (and they won't know) unless you start practicing! 

Heather posted this 10 March 2020

My oldest was waking with dry diapers from ten to eleven months forward. I started to potty train her around around a year and a half. She did great overnight, during the day she had to be put on the potty every 20 minutes to half hour for the first week or so. Then she got the idea and would just come tell me she went.

Mindy posted this 10 March 2020

I think 2 years old is the average time to start. But some of my friends started earlier and some much later. We have just accomplished that milestone with my little one and she is almost 2. We cancelled all plans and spent the entire weekend with no diaper and rushing her to the potty. A couple accidents here and there but she got it by the end of day 2. 

Catherine posted this 15 March 2020

Around 2 is typical.  Baby will start to show interest in the potty.  Wait for that and be patient through the process.  change in routine and sickness can cause setbacks.

Brittany posted this 17 March 2020

I heard some people start at two, but we are waiting until our L.O shows insterest because If you push the issues they wont ever want to do it.

Eloisa posted this 18 March 2020

I definitely think waiting until they are ready/showing a lot of interest is best! Helps avoid the power struggle and frustrations. 

Danna posted this 18 March 2020

When the baby shows interest. There are few signs that they are ready like pulling at a wet or dirty diaper, hiding to pee or poop.interest in others' use of the potty, or copying their behavior, having a dry diaper for a longer-than-usual time, telling you that they're about to go, are going or have just gone in their diaper...

Close