Gestational Diabetes

• Last Post 23 January 2020
Kate posted this 19 October 2018

I'm concerned about developing gestational diabetes. My mother suffered with it when she was pregnant with me, and I'm worried that I might also develop it. I'm already at risk for post-partum depression...does anyone have any types for preventing GD or managing it?

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Kate posted this 19 October 2018

I was looking at HealthLine, and it looks like the ways to prevent gestational diabetes is similar to preventing any other type of diabetes: diet and exercise. If your weight is an issue, it also suggests losing weight and also including fiber in your diet.

• Liked by
  • RHONDA
Shane posted this 20 October 2018

Few of the risk factors for GD are under your control: weight is effectively the only one.   Most of it is the genetics of you (how your body responds to hormones) and your baby (what hormones the placenta sends to you).  If you do develop it,  your best bet is going to be working with a doctor to control it. 

• Liked by
  • RHONDA
RHONDA posted this 26 October 2018

I didn't realize its preventable! thank you for the tips!

Claire posted this 13 November 2018

From what I understand, your mother having it doesn't really have an impact on your risk.  Also, you can have it with one pregnancy and not subsequent ones.

April posted this 14 November 2018

I have 2 sisters and a mom who never had gestational diabetes. However, I had gestational diabetes with my daughter. But my dad does have type 2 diabetes. I know genetics can play a little role in it. I won't lie, I ate AWFUL during my first trimester. The thought of getting gestational diabetes wasn't even on my mind. Then I was diagnosed with it and had to change my eating habits. It was hard but it wasn't near as bad as others made it out to be. However, having to test my blood sugar 3 times a day was pretty awful and I also missed my sweets The moment my daughter was born I requested a milkshake and burger 😂 

Ritchelle posted this 22 January 2020

I had GD with my first, and I suspect I'm gonna have it again this time, but I'm not too worried about it. My GD with my first was managed well without meds -- I just needed to eat more protein and fiber than carbs. I still ate pasta and bread and rice, but much smaller portions and I needed to hit the treadmill a couple of times a day to burn it off. 

Allie posted this 23 January 2020

I failed my first test then passed by 3 hour. My doctor still wanted me to watch my diet since my first test was so bad. I really focused on eating clean and working out to keep my levels down! 

Close