Breastfeeding

• Last Post 29 March 2020
Tracy posted this 08 June 2019

Let's talk about Breastfeeding

You can read every book, magazine, article, internet posting there is, and it still doesn't prepare you for your breastfeeding journey ahead. Nothing prepares you for the cracked nipples, the painful nipples, the cluster-feeding, the pumping, and just plain feeling like you're nothing short of a human milk factory. 

Breastfeeding is rewarding and has so many health benefits for both you and baby. However, what they don't tell you is just how hard/challenging it isl 

• Liked by
  • ashley
  • Mirna
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Libby posted this 17 February 2020

It is so hard!!! I do not understand the battle that women get into between bottle fed or breast fed. I have breast fed all 4 of my kids, but with that first one I kept telling people I'd rather go through labor again then breastfeed. But the nurses at the hospital freaked me out about if I didn't and it was my first child so I listened. It got easier, but I think it is such a personal decision and I agree with the mantra, "a fed baby is best."

Eloise posted this 15 February 2020

I couldn't agree more. It can be such an individualized experience-what works for one mom won't work for the next. The important thing is to figure out what works for you and your baby. I'm a huge advocate for the support of a knowledgable Lactation Consultant to guide you along the individualized journey. I think part of the reason it is so rewarding is because of the challenges :-)

Cassandra posted this 01 November 2019

It is difficult to compare the way you and your child are breastfeeding to the way others are breastfeeding their children.  Watching other children do it with ease while your child is struggling definitely makes things harder.

Sadie posted this 23 October 2019

I struggled in the beginning for sure!

Elizabeth posted this 20 October 2019

I agree!  I was totally unprepared for breastfeeding with my first!  But I'm nursing my third now, and it is so much better!  Of course it was super painful for the first few weeks, but now it is great!  So much better than preparing bottles.  But also, NO SHAME to those who bottle feed!

Wendy posted this 20 October 2019

Agreed. Everyone makes it sound like, because it's natural, it's easy. Myth. I will highly recommend to check for local lactation consultants. My hospital has them come in while you're in the hospital to work with you, but you can also go to free classes after you're discharged. If you want private consultations after you're out of the hospital, you have to pay, but even that it low cost. 

Cassandra posted this 18 October 2019

I went into breastfeeding not knowing anything. I thought it would all come naturally, I had no idea what I was getting myself into! I had mostly positive experiences, luckily, but in the beginning I remember constantly worrying about if my babies were getting enough to eat. And being tied down almost 24/7 is a lot! It is definitely just all temporary.

ashley posted this 18 October 2019

This is a great post! Remember its only painful for a small amount of time! I love being able to feed my baby something that helps them grow! 

Brittany posted this 14 October 2019

I agree!  It can be super painful, but it is still worth it!  It is a beautiful bonding experience for you and your baby!

Harper posted this 08 August 2019

I am not planning to breastfeed, I’m scared of the pain really. 

Bristol posted this 08 August 2019

Yes! It is so painful. But it does get better with time. But the soreness is terrible at first. 

Erica posted this 08 August 2019

I hope it’s not as painful as everyone says it is. I’m still willing to try it out though. 

Stacy posted this 08 August 2019

I had a very hard time with nursing because I was not pumping after she would feed. So I got clogged and it hurt so bad! But just keep going and make sure you are eating small snacks and drink at least a gallon of water a day lol.

Very true Tracy. It is an experience that is glorious and draining (literally 😂 ) all at the same time. I didn't do much research into breastfeeding when I first got pregnant. I just knew it was the decision for me that I wanted to do. I was LUCKY I had mostly positive experiences breastfeeding. The only problem I had was drying up before the one year mark with my children that I wanted to make it to.

Graham posted this 07 August 2019

Breastfeeding is exhausting! 

Chelsea posted this 07 August 2019

I’m one of the lucky ones. I haven’t had an issue with breastfeeding yet, and I don’t find it painful. 

Callii posted this 07 August 2019

I agree, very challenging but once you get the hang of it then it becomes very easy. 

Addie posted this 07 August 2019

I agree!! I watched so many videos, researched and everyone made it seem so easy. In reality it is hard and very painful. I myself couldn’t do it. 

Shar posted this 07 August 2019

So true, it felt like the most least natural thing.  Also with twins, I felt emotionally drained from the cluster feedings.  

Elise posted this 20 July 2019

Breast feeding really is hard, it took me a while to get things to work with my first. It's rewarding to know that you're doing the best for your child. However some moms can't make it work out and that's ok too. We're all trying to do our best.

Nina posted this 19 July 2019

It really is challenging!  But honestly, I'll deal with it all if only for the weight loss and not having to go to the kitchen to make a bottle in the middle of the night, ha.  I may sing a different tune the next time I start coming down with mastitis...

Show More Posts
Close