15 month old hitting you

• Last Post 30 August 2018
Josie posted this 30 August 2018

I recently noticed my son has a bad habit of hitting my face when he's angry. How early can I start disciplining? Because I tell him NO but its like talking to a wall.

• Liked by
  • Patricia
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Sandra posted this 30 August 2018

My friends baby boy just started the same thing, and telling him no never worked. After countless times of him hitting her, she finally pretended to cry and his eyes got wide.... He then grabbed her face and kissed her, you can tell he didn't like seeing her cry... It might not work, but it is worth a try  

Nancy posted this 31 August 2018

My son went through a stage of hitting. I was always paranoid when people were around. I don’t think he realized what he was doing. He got sent to the corner when he’d not take no for an answer. He did grow out of it so hang tight and be strong. 

Kary posted this 31 August 2018

Letting your son know that it hurts like Sandra suggested is a great idea.  Have you tried saying "nice hands" and redirecting him?  How about a short time out?  Most kids at this age go through something like this and he will likely grow out of it. 

Billie posted this 31 August 2018

Umm you can start disciplining them immediately! There are a lot of different ways to discipline a child especially since "spanking is so frowned upon" but c'mon a slap on the bottom especially if they wear a diaper isn't going to physically hurt them but it probably would hurt their feelings and to me THAT IS OK. Anyways, if you look up positive/ negative reinforcements you can get a lot of ideas on different things to do. Time outs are a big one that worked with us though I know some people have kids that won't listen to they won't do it. And this may be mean but I tell you what my son is one of the most well behaved kids you'll meet probably because he hated doing it so he didn't do things to get in trouble. But in his time-out corner I would make him stand and put both of his arms up on the wall slightly above his head - you do it for a minute for how old they are so in your case 1 minute. But there are a lot of different ways to discipline with the positive/ negative reinforcements which is where I'd start.

Love posted this 06 September 2018

My boy is 22 months and he has just started doing the same thing. I guess its really a stage.

• Liked by
  • RodMel
RodMel posted this 07 September 2018

Oh my son is doing the same thing. Glad I am not alone wondering what is wrong with him lol

Jen posted this 07 September 2018

It's best to start disciplining as soon as you can physically see they are denying your command when you say "no" or "stop." Children are way smarter than we give them credit for! The sooner they realize that what you say goes, the better for you and him/her! If you are constantly struggling with getting obedience, your relationship will suffer. When they are obedient, your relationship is enjoyable! Take running out in the street for example. If he or she starts for the road and you yell, "stop!" The child needs to know that he or she has no choice but to obey. Same with an electrical socket, or a stove, fireplace, etc...As parents, we don't make up rules to be jerks...it's FOR their safety and their best interest. Good luck! <3

Andrea posted this 07 September 2018

Mine just stopped doing same thing. But he was once in that stage and then he laughs afterwards so I had to be very firm that he is hurting me and it's not good.

Stacy posted this 08 September 2018

Children are so smart! They have to be told no and know that you mean it. However you get to that point! Patience mama!

Brenda posted this 10 September 2018

My nephew had the same problem and teaching him about "nice hands" seemed to make a difference. You can always try reinforcements with having nice hands as opposed to hitting. It definitely takes patience and work which can be stressful, but worth it. Good luck!!

Emilia posted this 12 September 2018

Start the disciple as soon as possible.  The longer a parents waits to disciple the more control the child is receiving.  Just like many of the ladies here said, there are so many ways to disciple.  Personally, I am old school and I believe in the "spanking" so to me that is what I would do. A small spanking in the butt-tucks or on the hands all depending on what they did.   I would also reprimand them in the corner too.  Now they are grown and all well behaved.  All parents are different and believe differently. 

• Liked by
  • Patricia
LaKeisha posted this 22 October 2018

I would start immediately, just talking to him to see that he'll understand. I think it's best since the longer you wait, the more difficult it'll be. 

• Liked by
  • Patricia
Britt posted this 24 October 2018

My friend is going through the same thing with her 18 month old. She keeps correcting it but he doesn't really know it hurts. We tried the crying thing it didn't work. But I guess we'll just hang in there lol. I babysit him a lot so I get nervous when I take him to the library 

Emma posted this 24 October 2018

Kids are very smart and learn very quickly so the discipline should be implemented as soon as these bad behaviors begin. Negative and positive reinforcements are very help and can help reinforce good behaviors and and remove unpleasant ones. https://asdtoddler.fpg.unc.edu/reinforcement/implementation-steps/negative-reinforcement

• Liked by
  • Kelly
Liz posted this 26 October 2018

I am going through this too with my son. I feel like it's not working. Constantly correcting his behavior and he just keeps hitting. I tell sit him down and explain he shouldn't hit, it hurts, its not nice. I have him say sorry. Sometimes he tantrums, sometimes he signs sorry right away. Any suggestions on what I should do differently?

dallas posted this 02 November 2018

I think its just a way of them expressing frustration,honestly.

RHONDA posted this 02 November 2018

I think timeout or just keep saying no. Pretending to cry because it hurts like mentioned here has worked too.

• Liked by
  • Patricia
  • Moneek
Patricia posted this 02 November 2018

I would start disciple as soon as possible.  The longer a parents waits to disciple the more out of control the child will get. Just like many of the ladies here said, there are so many ways to disciple.  All parents are different and believe differently.  

• Liked by
  • Moneek
lynne posted this 02 November 2018

TIMeout won't work with a 15 month old. I would hold their hands and very clearly say NO HIT. Then walk away and ignore for a minute or two. Do NOT make a big deal out of it and do not over complicate it. They don't understand and like the extra attention. 

gena posted this 02 November 2018

I agree with posters above. I'm not sure that timeout is best for 15 months and would not even recommend until 2. Walking away may have the same effect, with a stern no. 

gena posted this 02 November 2018

I did read a tip once of keeping everything short and simple in discipline with young kids. Dont try to have a long drawn out discussion- Less than 5 words. "No hit! You hurt mommy"

Jane posted this 02 November 2018

Oh gosh. Flashbacks. My son was a nightmare with this! "No!" never worked and they can't really process a timeout at their age. Eventually I learned to pretend to cry and cover my face. Worked like a charm. He'd always hug me and say "I sorry, Mama" and tear-up himself. Then I'd tell him that bad people hit people and that it's not nice. It's an irritating stage for sure. Just like when they learn they can throw stuff! I have a scar on my cheek from a block! 

Jeanmarie posted this 13 November 2018

That's kind of a form of time out, in that you're depriving him of your attention and interaction for a little while.  It's a really effective method of discipline at that age because they crave that attention.

TIMeout won't work with a 15 month old. I would hold their hands and very clearly say NO HIT. Then walk away and ignore for a minute or two. Do NOT make a big deal out of it and do not over complicate it. They don't understand and like the extra attention. 

Kelly posted this 13 November 2018

This isn’t that uncommon but there should absolutely be some form of repercussions for his actions.  Weather your form of discipline is timeout or no dessert I think making him aware that this is wrong means he should progressively stop doing it. 

Samantha posted this 25 February 2020

Our toddler does the same exact thing. And she laughs if you tell her no, no matter how firmly or how serious your face is. I think it's a phase and if we just keep repeating ourselves or put them down / walk away when they hit, they'll get the message eventually. 

Moneek posted this 25 February 2020

My little one is 13 months and he likes to hit me and his father in the face and thinks it is the funniest thing. I give him a very firm no, and take his hand and kiss his fist and re-direct his attention to something else that he can use his hands to be productive with. This works most of the time. 

Lydia posted this 26 February 2020

Just show him or her that it is not nice to hit and redirect baby. 

andrea posted this 29 March 2020

We try to grab our son's hand before he can hit and say firmly "I will not let you hit me." Got this idea from Janet Lansbury's blog/podcast, she's great!

Close